Saturday, February 28, 2009

When deepest fears come to fruition

Thomas Boston (1676-1732) and his wife lost six children in infancy. I came across this quote in his biography by Andrew Thomson, Thomas Boston: His Life and Times

"His youngest daughter, Catherine, had died, and a thought was given to the tenderhearted father which had not been so present to his mind under any similar bereavement. He says, 'I never had such a clear and comfortable view of the Lord's having other uses for our children, for which he removes them in infancy, so that they are not brought into the world in vain. I saw reason to bless the Lord that I had been the father of six children now in the grave, and that were with me but a short time; but none of them is lost. I will see them all at the resurrection. That clause in the covenant, 'I am the God of thy seed,' was sweet and full of sap." (p.83 Emphasis mine)

No comments: